Sichuan Takin Born at LA Zoo
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens welcomed a female Sichuan Takin (Budorcas taxicolor tibetana) on February 12. Takin (pronounced “TAH-kin”), are stocky goat-antelopes native to China’s remote mountain forests.
In the wild, baby Takin begin to follow their mothers along steep paths when they are just three days old – a crucial survival skill for these leaf-eating animals. Though heavily-built, Takin are surprisingly agile on the rocky cliffs of their homeland. Their large hooves have a spur that makes them sure-footed even on steep terrain. Males can weigh up to 800 pounds. Both males and females have thick upward-turning horns…
(read more: Zoo Borns)
photographs: Los Angeles Zoo
I, I hope for your life; that you can forget about mine
Your job won’t define you.
Anyone you compare yourself to is interested on an extra curricular, hobby-for-life level, and school is everyone’s life right now. You chose an extracurricular based major.
This doesn’t mean you lack passion. Or don’t belong.
After everyone graduates, their “passion” that you’ve feared you don’t have will just be a job; a fraction of their daily and long term life, just as it will be for you.
"Homophobia: The fear that another man will treat you like you treat women." ~ (unattributed)
Original photograph: Untitled, from Portraits at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Washington D.C., 1984 by Judith Joy Ross
Requested by Clare Strand
I will always be in love with love.
I will always be cripplingly nostalgic.
A factual post.
“Stop romanticizing people who hurt you.”
– Six Word Story #48 by absentions (via elenasummers)
“1. If you like someone, wait.
2. Give lots of compliments, even if you’re shy. Everyone else is too.
3. Change. Get a haircut, try new perfume, get new sheets. Become better than you were before.
4. Eat healthier. Learn to cook something fancy.
5. Get up earlier and watch the sun come up.
6. Wear soft clothes, take a bath, drink something warm.
7. Meet someone new, even just a friend.
8. Become closer with your friends and your family. Call your mother. Cry with your best friend. Tell everyone how much you appreciate them.
9. Keep your room clean. Buy some candles. Let the natural light in.
10. Make a list of reasons why you’ll be better off without them. Believe they are true, because they are.
11. Listen to new music.
12. Write everything you’re thinking and feeling. Write letters. Write happy letters, sad letters, and angry letters, even if you’re never going to send them.
13. It’s okay to be sad, but not forever. Sadness is not as beautiful as music makes it seem. Lack of sleep makes your eyes droopy, not deep. Wake up every morning and tell yourself you’re going to have a good day.
14. Go to the library. Don’t forget to look in the music section.
15. Remove them from your life. Get rid of the things they gave you if they make you sad. They’re not worth it. You will never be happy if you continue to hold on to the things that make you sad.
16. Make new memories.
17. Try to find something to appreciate in everything you do or experience.
18. Being alone is okay, you don’t have to surround yourself with people.
19. Become your own best friend. Buy yourself coffee and drink it alone in a cafe. Take your time.
20. Learn to love every bit of yourself.”
How to feel better and become better by me
Dance your shoes off!
Elvis Costello fan art? :P
Show the world we want a phone worth keeping! #phonebloks